Mittwoch, 5. September 2012

Only 4 days ago...


It´s been long time after midnight and I still didn´t know what to expect from the next day. Actually I didn´t know what to expect from the next nine months of my life. These are 36 weeks after all…  I was sitting in the back of my parents´ car and trying to realize the 180° change my life did at that moment. Short time later mum and dad had one last breakfast with me –Mum has been unexpectedly composed for her conditions- and dropped me off at the airport. Suddenly I was on my own, trying not to be afraid of my own courage, with the little I was allowed to take with me for the next couple of months.

As soon as I sat into the plane I fell into sleep, not waking up until the airplane was flying a circle above a little island western to north Africa; Tenerife. There it was: with its´ scant mountains, the dusty air, its´ deep blue sea, the highest cliffs I´ve ever seen and the Teide volcano surmounting everything! We departed at the South airport and I had to make my way to the northern end of the island- with almost 30 kg on my back and only the tiniest knowledge of Spanish language…

What already seems to me as being an adventure long time ago happened the last Sunday; this was when I arrived in my new home for absolving a 9 months lasting volunteering in local Spanish playgrounds. Some five months ago I had applied for this European Voluntary Service and finally- in mid of July- I got the ultimate acceptance. I remember that I wasn´t able to silently sit on my bottom for the rest of that day and had a big smile in my face for the following ones… whatever, now I´m here, sitting in the flat that I am occupying together with three other girls- also volunteers but much older than I am- and supposed to write down the impressions and experiences I collected during the last week. An unsolvable challenge. Nearly impossible to remember everything that assailed me these days. But I’ll try…

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen